Field of Dreams Update

Field of Dreams Update

For those of you not familiar with Oklahoma's version of the Field of Dreams, at least for us it is an intensely mangaged 10 acre wheat field in southern Grant County.  We started it last year and were able to increase the yield 31% above that of the remainder of the field.  For a more in depth analysis of what we did and the economics of the experiment I refer you to an earlier post. 

Any earlier post (by the way) can be retrieved by going to the bottom of the displayed posts and click on the the reddish orange square or diamond with diagonal arcing lines through it.  This will display all the post.

If any of you watch Agri. Phd., they recently talked about on their show, managing your small grains more intensely and referred to many of the things we are doing.

The following is what has been done to the Field of Dreams for the crop year 2010-2011:

Soil sample taken on 7/28/10 with reccomendations requested for 100 bushel wheat.

pH came back still 5.4, 150 nitrogen needed, and no phophorous or pottasium needed.

2.4 tons/acre of lime was applied on 8/6/10

80 lbs. of Nitrogen was applied by anhydrous in late August.

75 lbs./acre, registered, Gaucho xt treated, Endurance was planted Sept. 30th

Powerflex, surfactant, and Mcpe for grass and broad leaf weed control was applied 12/1/10

That is where we are and what has been applied to date.  The wheat looks very good.

2 comments (Add your own)

1. Russell wrote:
( I had trouble retriving/deciphering archived posts) so I'll ask.

What was the pH last year, and what was done about it?

Was the lime incorporated this year? how? and how deep?
I would be interested in a spring pH analysis to determine efficacy.

Thu, December 9, 2010 @ 7:31 PM

2. Kim wrote:
Russell,
The pH last year before planting was identical to this years pH, 5.4.
We applied 2 ton of lime/acre last year and the pH did not change in subsequent soil tests (Dec. and this Aug.)
I, too, am anxious to see if the additional 2 ton applied this fall plus last fall's lime is starting to affect pH.
Both lime applications were applied pre plant with light tillage (field cultivator) after the lime was applied.
I plan on taking a soil and tissue sample very soon so maybe we will get a feel for the lime efficacy on the pH, as well as what is in the soil versus what the plant has yet to take up. That was an interesting aspect of last years data, which if you can get it to come up is something I think you would enjoy perusing.
I will have further posts on the field of dreams.

Thanks for the question.
Kim

Mon, December 20, 2010 @ 5:30 PM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.